Friday, September 18, 2026

More on the Navier-Stokes AI breakthrough

As the dust settles on last week's OpenAI announcement regarding the discovery of a blow-up solution for the incompressible Navier-Stokes equations, Nature has provided additional coverage of note to DTLR readers.  One is another article by Davide Castelvecchi regarding the wider implications on the assignment of credit for mathematical discovery, prompted by the controversy between OpenAI and Buckmaster and Alpoge.  This is certainly an important issue for mathematicians and scientists.

Addressing the implications for the science of fluid mechanics, the other article, by Nicola Jones, points out that the blow-up solution occurs in a situation in which the incompressible Navier-Stokes equations are invalid.  Thus the implications for lower-level modeling, such as using the kinetic theory of gases or molecular dynamics simulations, are unclear (and quite possibly irrelevant).  The article also discusses other uses of AI to study fluid mechanics problems such as turbulence and atmospheric dynamics.

I'm sure there is much additional coverage that I'm missing out on, but I will endeavor to bring the most notable discussions I've come across to readers of DTLR.


No comments:

Post a Comment